Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Snow? Not in Switzerland.

While our friends across the US have been dealing with snow and ice, we've been waking up each morning and saying, "didn't we move to Switzerland to enjoy the snow, what's with the 56° weather"?  I'm not sure what is with the weather but I have been very pleased with our clear days recently and I'm sending warm weather thoughts to my friends in the states.

We've gotten a bit behind on the blog because we have been busy busy.  A couple of weeks ago, we took the dogs on a short road trip to Aosta, Italy.  It is just about a 1 1/2 hour drive over the border. Aosta is a quiet little city in the Italian Alps and used to be a Roman military colony. We stayed the night there and enjoyed seeing the Roman structures and eating delicious Italian food.


Later in January, I went to Kuala Lumpur for our sales meeting. What an interesting place! We had training sessions and awards banquets for part of the trip but were lucky enough to have some time to explore as well. We did an activity that was a competition between teams and structured as a scavenger hunt through the city. 


 At the end of the hunt, we had a race to see which team could build a bike the fastest. Our team was the fastest (of course) out of 57 teams. I even helped by pumping up the tires. The best part, though, was once the bikes were built, they were given to children of a local orphanage. It was fantastic to see all of the faces of the children as they received their new bikes.
 The final day, we also had a bit of time to walk around.  We went to the Batu Cave and Temple and also to the largest bird park in the world.  The Batu Cave was very interesting and amazing to see the temple built into the cave which was also filled with monkeys.


Later in February, Scott held down the fort again while I traveled to South Africa. It was a busy trip with mostly work but I had some great hosts who showed me around. I couldn't help but laugh because while I was there I received an email from my HOA distribution in Texas. People were concerned because there were foot marks in the snow in the alley. They were gettin the police to patrol because it must be high crime. It turned out it was just the meter reader who had been by. While I was in South Africa, though, I was repeadely reminded to put my purse on the floor while in the car because someone would break my window and take it off my lap. Every house we drove by had electic fences about 20 feet in the air or razor wire. There are several people in our office there who have even been shot. I feel very lucky that my TX neighbors look for for each other so well but the degree of danger is just a bit different.

Our last trip so far this year was just this past weekend to Bern.  It was a fantastic little road trip just about an hour up the road. It is a beautifulcity with so much do see but in a very compact area. We were a little confused by the pink rabbits who were chasing one another with chainsaws and also ice skating but besides that, it was a great trip.



This weekend starts Scott's turn to travel. I'm not sure what I'll find to do for the next couple of weekends but I'll keep you all posted.

We hope you all had a great Valentine's Day and are ready for Spring to arrive.

1 comment:

  1. In addition to all of the amazing places you've been this month, I can't believe you BUILT a bike!! Good thing, because you might need to know how to build a getaway vehicle if the ice skating, chainsaw-wielding pink rabbits show up in Mollie-Margot!

    ReplyDelete